One of the oldest buildings of the Moscow region
Baptist Church “at the site” is an example of “post-Mongolian architecture” and refers to the number of three, extant monuments of this time. In addition to the temple “at the site” is the Church of St. Nicholas in the village of Kamianske Naro-Fominsk district and the Church of the Nativity of the virgin in the village of Gorodnya Tver region. The many similarities of these monuments (pistolpete, no blades, subdivided facades, similar to the cornices of the apses, white stone console, the presence of corner pylons and features of masonry) allow the researchers to attribute them to a single classification category. I recommend you to read a remarkable work of S. V. Zagraevsky “the Architecture of North-Eastern Russia the end of XIII–the first third of the XIV century “. Well-preserved zoomorphic bas-relief: Altshuler interprets depicts a creature like ” unicorn “, Sergei Zagraevsky considers that it is not that other, as the Basilisk— a monster with the head of the cock, a thick tongue, a lion’s body and a snake tail.
02 According to research by B. L. Altshuller, the temple dates from the second half of the fourteenth century, more contemporary research S. V. Zagraevsky at the beginning of the fourteenth century. The Church is built of white stone robotising blocks.
03 From this ancient buildings until we reached the walls of the square to about half its height, and the walls of the apses. In the XVI century the Church was substantially rebuilt. The upper part of the building re-built of brick and well-treated white stone, while the facades are divided by blades into three parts.
04 1965-1969 temple restored under the direction of M. B. Chernysheva, resulting in the appearance of the building was returned to the sixteenth century. The Church of the Conception of John the Baptist is situated in the centre of the ancient village of Gorodische (now the village was included in the boundaries of the city of Kolomna). The village is situated on the banks of the river Kolomenka. Topographically convenient device of a fortified settlement, a place that was inhabited by our ancestors in ancient times.
05 Well-preserved zoomorphic bas-relief belonging to the Church “on the site”, is not only unique in its archaic form by the monument stone decoration, but also indirect evidence of the ownership of the temple “on the site” to the beginning of the fourteenth century. Researchers differ in the interpretation of the image, which significantly affects the attribution of this monument. Altshuler interprets depicts a creature like “unicorn “, which has no precedent in the pre-Mongolian architecture, this bas-relief Dating to the second half of the XIV S. V. Zagraevsky fundamentally changes the interpretation of the bas-relief image. The researcher believes that gorodishchensky fragment of the decoration is not that other, as the Basilisk— a monster with the head of the cock, a thick tongue, a lion’s body and a snake tail. The plastic interpretation of the depicted creatures in the form of a Basilisk is an indirect confirmation in favor of an earlier origin of Gorodische of relief because the images of these creatures (basilisks) in the decoration of pre-Mongolian churches quite a lot, for example in vladimirsuzdal temples.
06 From an ancient building of the XIV century have survived to date, half-height, the walls of the quadrangle, have no outer blades and the altar apse, built of roughly hewn limestone blocks. At the junction of old and newer masonry walls, from under the plaster revealed a white stone console, previously served as the supports for the archivolt zakomaras. Console in its scope and size quite similar to the console units found in the study of St. Nicholas Church in the village of Kamianske Naro-Fominsk district.
08 the earliest information about the Church contained in the book’s 1577-1578, calling the Settlement of the patrimony “of the Bishop of Kolomna” and celebrating in the village “Church of the Conception of John the Baptist stone, Yes the warm Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Yes the limit Demetrius the Wonderworker of Priluki, GREVENA, kletzki…”.At the junction of old and newer masonry walls, from under the plaster revealed a white stone console, previously served as the supports for the archivolt zakomaras. Console in its scope and size quite similar to the console units found in the study of St. Nicholas Church in the village of Kamianske Naro-Fominsk district.
09 In 1780 was built a new bell tower and refectory associated with it. As a result of many alterations in the Church were three altars: the main one, in honor of the Conception of John the Baptist, and two in the refectory in honour of Saint Nicholas and the Apostle James, the brother of the Lord.