The old town square in Prague
Beautiful ancient city of Prague has many beautiful places, literally breathing with history. But one of the main attractions is the old town surface, the heart of the city, whose buildings form a whimsical palette of architectural styles.
The history of the square
In the XIV century the city built and fortified around the Prague Castle, expanded to the right Bank of the Vltava river. The history of the square goes back centuries: in 1091 on the site of the old town square was bustling Czech market. It is a beautiful place in the center of which stands the statue of Jan HUS, a Czech national hero and eloquent ideologist of the Czech reformation. Also here you can see and a visit to Tyn Church, Kinsky Palace and St. Nicolas Church.
Old Town Hall
The most famous building in the old town square, which appears in many films, is the old town hall, a remarkably well-preserved since the XIV century. Its Gothic tower, built in 1364, is one of the most recognizable symbols of Prague. The tower is famous for its gorgeous and still working astronomical clock created in 1410. This is the oldest clock in all of Europe. Crowds of tourists gather in front of the towers on the square every hour to watch the procession of miniature figures, solemnly sustuysam honor of the new hours.
The Church Of St. Nicholas
In the North the square is built in the XVIII century Church of St. Nicholas. This is one of the most beautiful Baroque monuments of Baroque in Prague with a fancy and elegant interior, which can be seen every day. Next to the Church on the old town square is lavishly decorated in an art Nouveau building. It was built in the late XIX century for the rich insurance company, but was later transferred to the municipality as a government building.
This temple is probably the most recognizable in Prague thanks to its numerous spires. The construction of the Gothic Church began in the fourteenth century, but the towers were completed only in 1511. Right next to the Tyn Church is an interesting Gothic building, which in recent times has been disguised as Baroque. But this façade was dismantled in 1980 to restore the building back to its original appearance of XIV century. You should pay attention to the fanciful Gothic Windows.
Kinsky Palace, a beautiful building with a facade in Rococo style, has a very elegant architecture. Originally built by the family of Goltz, the Palace was later acquired by Kinski, a diplomat of the Emperor. In February 1948 Klement Gottwald, the Communist leader made a fiery speech from the balcony of the Palace, which ultimately led to the proclamation of the Communist state.
South side old town square
On the South side of the square stands a lot of beautiful buildings with colourful facades in the Renaissance style and Baroque. One of the most notable buildings is the home of the Renaissance with painting of St. Wenceslas. Other buildings bear the names, like people, for example, “At the Golden unicorn”, “Red Fox”. They were given homes by their signs and storefronts. For example, “Stone house” on the facade has a stone relief depicting a girl and a lamb. Such names are not only a tribute to poetry, but also a very practical thing. Once the house had rooms on the facades, find them by name and the sign was much easier.
The Monument To Jan HUS
In the centre of the old town square is a large monument to Jan HUS. It was erected in 1915 on the occasion of the 500 th anniversary of the martyrdom of the reformer at the stake. Jan HUS, born in 1369, was a reformer, sincerely devoted to his beloved country, the Czech patriot-nationalist. In 1415 he was declared a heretic at the Council of Constance and burned down. The monument depicts the persecution of Czech patriots, and their “rebirth” after 200 years with the imposing figure of Jan HUS in the center speaks of the sincere devotion of the Czechs their country, their love for freedom and their native language.